Thursday 21 July 2011

Find a penny, pick it up..

Today I feel good. Despite the fact that I was out drinking again and actually feel like shit this afternoon. I woke at half one, having not been able to sleep until five, last night. I wasn't even any drunker than usual, but had been smoking, which is the stupidest thing that I ever do in my life. Even though I feel wretched and sick and everything, I feel really positive about things today for two reasons. Firstly the lease for the pub arrived in the post for me to sign today. This is exciting for me as you can imagine. I just have to sign it and drop off a huge amount of money, and the place shall be mine within days. 

Secondly; well I'm not a superstitious person, but I do tend to pick up pennies when I find them. In my mind I usually tend to go through the mantra that we all learnt of discovered pennies as little children. Most of the time I pick the coin up and perform the ritual, and forget about the penny later that day. Perhaps this is why I don't ever seem to have any money.  This time I found a dirty, discoloured coin sitting on the wall of our garden, near the rocks and neighbours' hedge. I picked it up, thanked my luck, and began to clean off the mud and dirt on the coin. As chance would have it this was not a lucky penny, but a lucky sixpence from 1950.  It must have been buried in our garden for a long  time, and had only emerged very recently, to enhance the luck of a certain young publican. It just seems very apt timing to find it on the very day that the contract for my future also came along. I'm going to keep this coin, and hopefully I shall not need to use all of it's luck up too soon. 

:) 

5 comments:

  1. A good sign, indeed. Plus, that's a really cool photo of the coin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that make you six times as lucky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doug, thanks for the comment there. I used the close up rings to get a decent pic of the coin.

    Bill, I do think that it does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When do expect the Bag of Nails to be open?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soon. :) I have broken so many deadlines that I have told people of, that I am no longer saying any kind of date, sorry.

    ReplyDelete